The aim of our ‘Dealing with the Difficult People’ training course materials is to help you, as a trainer, teach your participants how to deal with difficult and disruptive co-workers.
This training package is:
- Fully customizable and editable
- US English & British English compatible
- Downloadable immediately
- Can also be adapted to use for online teaching and training in virtual classrooms.
- and you will own the rights to edit and reuse it for as many of ‘your own courses’ as you wish
Samples from the training course materials
Click on the slides below to magnify
Why this is a great course to teach as a trainer
Handling difficult and disruptive people is part of a set of skills called interpersonal skills. These are fundamental skills for everyone to master in the workplace and in personal life.
Interpersonal skills are essentially those skills that allow us to function as part of society, relate with other people, and build constructive relationships.
These types of skills will always be needed and they are not subject to fashions and trends. After all, people have always needed to get along since the human species has existed, as we are ‘social creatures’.
Hence, any interpersonal skills training courses constitute classic topics, which will always be in demand and very valuable to have in your portfolio as a trainer.
Buying this customizable off-the-shelf training course package from us means that you will not need to spend time doing the research, creating a lesson plan, thinking of activities and designing materials. We have already done the hard work for you!
You can buy our dealing with difficult people training materials package on its own or together with other interpersonal skills training materials such as the Conflict Management package.
People who may benefit from this training course
- Managers who have to deal with difficult employees.
- Line managers who are in charge of direct reports, some of whom can exhibit difficult behaviors.
- Salespeople and business people (including high-level managers) who need to be able to deal with all kinds of personalities to get new contracts and establish working relationships with customers, providers, and a variety of stakeholders.
- Team members to get along with each other, no matter what types of personalities they may have.
- Staff members who deal with difficult people at work including their boss, colleagues, and managers.
- HR staff, to understand the dynamics that take place in the work environment.
- Customer care staff who need to deal with regular customers who may display challenging behaviors.
- Self-employed people, to be able to handle any type of individuals they come across as part of their business.
Our dealing with difficult people training course materials are suitable for teaching anyone who has to deal with challenging behaviors.
As we all need to deal with difficult behaviors at some point in our life, this course is basically suitable for anyone.
Benefits of Learning How to Deal with Difficult People
We all come across difficult people in life sometimes. These may be our co-workers, people we manage, our boss or, outside of work, family members and friends.
Some people can exhibit difficult to deal with behaviors occasionally, if they are stressed, for example. Other people though, for whatever reasons, have difficult personality traits that make it hard for other people to deal or work with them, most of the time.
Sometimes it is possible to avoid such difficult people. Other times though, if they are members of our family or they are colleagues, this is not possible.
Particularly in the workplace, it is very important to find ways of coping with difficult people. Just because a person is hard to work with it does not mean that they are not good workers. On the contrary, they can have valuable skills that a business may want to retain.
At the same time though, those who have to work with challenging people can become demotivated, stressed, and burnt out if they do not have the skills to deal with hard-to-work-with behaviors.
Training staff on working with difficult people is therefore beneficial for:
- staff retention
- creating a supportive working environment.
Learning how to deal with difficult people can be also useful in our personal life, outside work, and it is a useful skill to have in any circumstance.
Duration of Dealing with Difficult & Disruptive People Training Package
- 1/2 day
You can increase or decrease the length of the course if needed, by spending more or less time on activities and role-plays. These are provided as part of the training course materials.
You can also combine the materials from this course with the conflict management training course materials, as the themes of the two courses connect well with each other.
Level Aimed at
- Beginners and intermediates.
- You can teach this course to participants who are new to the topic and also to those participants who have already attended courses in other interpersonal skills.
With This Course, Instantly Download:
✔ 37 PowerPoint slide deck (includes tutor notes on each slide)
✔ 32-page Trainers handbook
✔ Course documents (including sign-in sheet, course evaluation sheet, course outline)
✔ Participants’ workbook
✔ 7 handouts for classroom activities
✔ Course certificate (printable to hand to participants)
✔ A PDF guide with suggestions on how to adapt the activities for teaching the course online, if you ever need to.
Documents are delivered using MS Word, PDF (in case you do not have MS Word), and PowerPoint.
The MS Word and PowerPoint files are fully editable, so you can adapt the material to your specific needs.
Course Materials Aims and Objectives
The aim of this training course material is to help participants to develop strategies for dealing with challenging behaviors.
During the course, participants will be encouraged to separate people from the behaviors they exhibit, in order to avoid taking it personally and assume a more detached attitude.
In addition, the focus is not just directed towards the people that participants may have to deal with, but there is also an element of self-reflection, whereby participants are encouraged to analyze their own behaviors.
At the end of the course, participants should be able to:
✔ Identify types of difficult people, their behaviors, and their intents.
✔ Apply strategies to deal with difficult behaviors.
✔ Reflect on their own attitudes and behaviors.
Delivery Method for Learning about Coping with Difficult People
These training materials are designed to be delivered as a teacher-led course.
However, the course is designed to be very interactive. The lesson plan is such that teacher-talk should never be more than 10 minutes at a time and always followed by an activity.
Activities include group discussions, a self-reflection questionnaire, question and answer session, brainstorming, games and role-plays.
The session is supported by a PowerPoint (PPT) presentation. This serves as guidance for the session and to provide a visual element for the trainer and the participants to refer to.
In addition, it is possible to adapt these materials for teaching through digital online teaching platforms. The PowerPoint slides can be used for teaching online and, as part of the training materials, we provide some guidance with suggestions on how you can adapt the activities for an online session.
Topics That Will Be Covered Include:
- Understanding what constitutes difficult behavior.
- Identifying the causes of challenging behaviors.
- Categorizing the main types of difficult personalities and their intents.
- Implementing strategies to deal with difficult behaviors, including assertive communication, active listening and identifying ones’ triggers.
- Self-reflection activities to focus on participants’ own behaviors, attitudes, biases, and beliefs.
- Advice and tools to help participants develop a plan to deal with challenging individuals in the future.
American & British English Compatible
Suitable for both American English & British English styles.
- We have avoided any words that can cause confusion between American and British English styles such as soccer/football.
- We have used terms that are common in both and we have used the American style for a few words where a ‘z’ rather than ‘s’ is used i.e. materialize.
Happy Customers Include
GBP £99 (approx. USD$125) to instantly download the full dealing with difficult people training course materials package.
Buy This Course
- To purchase click the “Buy Now” button below.
- You can choose to pay via PayPal or by Credit card.
- Once you have paid, you will immediately receive a digital link to download the zip file straight away.
Related training course materials
Our ‘Emotional Intelligence in the Workplace’ training course materials are for corporate trainers to run workshops for members of staff and leaders on how to improve emotional intelligence. This training package is: Fully customizable and editable US English &…
These Influencing Skills training course materials are for corporate trainers to help managers and employees understand the foundations of influence, and develop their influencing skills in the workplace and in business. The materials are comprehensive and…
Our Intercultural Communication training course materials are designed to introduce participants to the fundamentals of cross-cultural communication and help them improve their own intercultural communication skills. These intercultural communication training course…
- Strategic Thinking Activity Exercise - October 23, 2023
- 7 Free Task and Job Crafting Training Exercises, Activities, and Icebreakers - October 23, 2023
- What Is Job Crafting and How It Helps Employee Motivation & Engagement - October 22, 2023