Page Updated on January 25, 2023
These ‘Managing the Return to Work Process’ training course materials are designed for corporate trainers to teach line managers how to support employees who are returning to work after a long absence.
The teaching pack covers topics such as running a return to work interview, organizing a phased return to work, and providing reasonable adjustments (accommodations in the USA) for employees whose absence was due to an illness or accident that led to a disability.
This training package is:
- Fully customizable and editable
- US English & British English compatible
- Downloadable immediately
- Can also be adapted to use for online teaching and training in virtual classrooms.
- and you will own the rights to edit and reuse it for as many of ‘your own courses’ as you wish
Samples from the Training Materials
Click on the slides below to magnify
What Are the Benefits of Knowing How to Set up a Good Return to Work Process for Employees Returning after a Long Absence?
Setting up a well-thought-out return-to-work process and plan for staff who come back after a long-term absence is important for many reasons.
Firstly, it helps employers comply with the law. This includes employment laws and laws that protect people with disabilities (in case the employee is absent due to sickness or an accident that led to disability).
For example, legislation such as the Equality Act in the UK, DDA (Disability Discrimination Act) in Australia, and ADA (Americans with Disability Act) in the USA are all in place to make sure that people with disabilities are not discriminated against in all areas of life.
Secondly, an employer that supports staff as they return after a long-term absence creates a good working environment for employees. As a result, staff feel valued and are less likely to leave the company. Thus, a good return to work-process can help reduce staff turnover.
Thirdly, supporting employees who return to work after an absence is ethically the right and humane thing to do. An employee might be returning to work after sickness, after time off for stress, after parental leave, a sabbatical or they may have other reasons for their absence. In any case, they may need support when they are back to work.
So, a training session that provides return to work guidance for managers is always very useful.
Who Is Our Managing the Return to Work Process Training Package for?
These training course materials are for corporate trainers to teach this topic to their clients.
The materials contain everything that a trainer needs to teach how to support employees returning after a long-term absence.
Individuals who would benefit from this course include:
- Line managers who need to manage a return to work process for their direct reports. This includes how to run a return to work questionnaire and how to prepare a plan for an employee returning to work after a long-term illness.
- HR departments that are in charge of managing absence for a company.
- Members of staff who would like to know what their rights are when returning to work after absence due to sickness or other reasons.
Why Should You, as a Trainer, Deliver Training on Managing the Return to Work Process for Employees?
Companies are willing to invest to train their managers, in particular when it comes to keeping employees happy and complying with the law.
So, a training session on managing the return to work process for employees is always a useful course to offer as part of your HR and leadership training portfolio.
Why Buy Off-the-shelf Customizable Training Materials?
Whether you are running your training online or in person, there are several benefits of buying ready-to-use corporate training materials.
- You save a lot of time. We have already done the research, created a lesson plan with the activities, and designed the materials (such as PowerPoint slides and handouts).
- You can edit the materials as you like to adapt them to your audience and add your logo.
- The materials are yours to keep and use for your own courses as you wish.
- The training materials are available for you to download instantly as soon as you buy them.
- Our training materials can be adapted for teaching as an online course if needed, using platforms such as Adobe Connect or Zoom.
In this training materials package, there is enough for a corporate trainer to teach a short course, to last about 2 hours.
If you want to provide training for a whole day, the perfect companion for this course is our ‘Absence Management training course materials. This package is aimed at teaching a 1/2 day session for managers on how to reduce employees’ absenteeism.
Other related leadership and staff well-being short sessions include:
- Digital Wellbeing
- Mindfulness at Work (and for Busy People)
- Mental Health Awareness at Work
- SMART Goals and Goals Alignment
- Delegation Skills
This is mainly a course for managers or HR members of staff who are new to managing the return to work process. However, these training materials are suitable also for teaching those who would like new ideas or to freshen up their knowledge.
Training Course Materials Outline and Objectives
The aim of this course is to help line managers understand how to support employees who return to work from an absence (especially a long-term absence).
The content of these corporate training materials focuses on managing the return to work process for any employee who has been absent from work for a long time, whatever the reason for an employee’s absence.
The course materials use many examples related to illness (physical and mental), disability, and stress, but the issues and solutions provided will relate to most absence issues, even absence due, for example, to a sabbatical or parental leave.
At the end of the course, your participants should be able to:
✔ Identify the benefits of a well-laid-out return to work process and the line manager’s role.
✔ Communicate with the employee during and after the absence (including carrying out a return to work interview).
✔ Organize a return to work plan (including possible adjustments and/or phased return).
These course materials are designed for a trainer to deliver them in a classroom environment.
The materials contain activities, questions and discussion points to engage the participants so that they learn actively.
It is also possible to adapt these materials for teaching through digital online teaching platforms. The PowerPoint slides can be used for teaching online and, as part of the training materials, we provide some guidance with suggestions on how you can adapt the activities for an online session.
Topics That Will Be Covered Include:
- The purpose and benefits of having a carefully laid out return to work plan for staff returning to work after a long-term absence
- The role of the line manager and what a line manager should and should not do in managing the return to work process for employees
- Making contact with an employee while they are absent from work.
- The return to work interview, interview questions, interview form, and plan
- Implementing reasonable adjustments (accommodations in the USA) for employees who return to work with a disability
- The phased return to work plan
With this Course, Instantly Download:
✔ 31 PowerPoint slide deck (includes tutor notes on each slide)
✔ 32-page Trainers Notes
✔ Course documents (including sign-in sheet, course evaluation sheet and pre-course guide)
✔ Participants’ workbook, which includes spaces for notes and a list of further readings.
✔ One handout (return to work interview form template).
✔ Course certificate (printable to hand to participants)
✔ A PDF guide with suggestions on how to adapt the activities for teaching the course online, if you ever need to.
Documents are delivered using MS Word, PDF (in case you do not have MS Word) and PowerPoint.
American & British English Compatible
Suitable for both American English & British English styles.
- We have avoided any words that can cause confusion between American and British English styles such as soccer/football.
- We have used terms that are common in both and we have used the American style for a few words where a ‘z’ rather than ‘s’ is used i.e. materialize.
GBP £89 (approx. USD$109) for the full trainer’s package, ready to download instantly!
Buy This Course
- To purchase click the “Buy Now” button below.
- You can choose to pay via PayPal or by Credit card.
- Once you have paid, you will immediately receive a digital link to download the zip file straight-away.
Related training course materials
Building Trust in the Workplace Training Course Materials
Our ‘Building Trust in the Workplace’ training course materials are for corporate trainers to deliver workshops on the foundations of how to gain other people’s trust at work (both face-to-face and when working remotely). The topic of trust building encompasses many…
Psychological Safety at Work Training Course Materials
Our psychological safety at work training course materials are for corporate trainers to run workshops for leaders on creating an environment in which staff feel safe to speak up. Psychological safety in the workplace is a relatively new concept in business…
Inclusive Leadership & Management Training Course Materials
Our ‘Inclusive Leadership‘ training course materials are for corporate trainers to teach managers and leaders in organizations how to make sure that all their workforce feels included, whatever their characteristics (such as gender, age, ethnicity, cultural and…
Dr Valeria (Lo Iacono) Symonds
Latest posts by Dr Valeria (Lo Iacono) Symonds (see all)
- 10 Tips on How to Unleash Your Staff’s Creative Potential - March 12, 2023
- 10 Tips to Make Employee & Workplace Training More Effective & Productive - March 3, 2023
- 10 Tips on How to Be More Likeable and Appreciated at Work - February 12, 2023