The ‘Managing Office Politics’ training course materials are designed to be used for providing training to managers, team leaders, supervisors, and anyone involved with managing others. Office politics is not something you can eliminate but it can be managed in order to improve the workplace atmosphere and working conditions for all.
These materials are aimed at providing a 2 to 3 hour short course, either alone or as part of a management training package. The training can be especially useful for first-time managers.
This training package is:
- Fully customizable and editable
- US English & British English compatible
- Downloadable immediately
- Can also be adapted to use for online teaching and training in virtual classrooms
- and you will own the rights to edit and reuse it for as many of ‘your own courses’ as you wish
Training Materials Samples
Click on the slides below to magnify.
Why Is It Important for a Manager to Deal with Politics in the Workplace?
You might be wondering, what exactly do we mean by office politics (also known as politics in the workplace or organizational politics)?
“Office politics can be defined as the strategies and maneuvers employed by individuals to gain power and influence within an organization. It is often seen as a negative force, as it can lead to conflict and infighting among employees” (Dr Paul Symonds, 2018)
As such, office politics is something that cannot be avoided as it is part of natural human interactions. As people deal with each other, they try to achieve the best outcomes for themselves.
Politics in the workplace is often seen as something negative (think, for example, of someone spreading gossip and damaging someone’s reputation). However, office politics can also be a force for good if managed properly.
Negative office politics can lead to lower team morale, higher staff turnover and absenteeism, disengagement, and loss of trust.
If politics in the workplace is managed well, not only can its negative effects be contained, but its positive effect can be harnessed to improve staff well-being and productivity.
For example, channeled in the right direction, the forces of organizational politics can be used to build positive relationships, create better networking and collaboration, and foster healthy competition.
These ‘Managing Office Politics’ training course materials are aimed at managers and leaders, so they can understand the implications of office politics, reduce the impact of negative politics and utilize politics to produce positive outcomes for the team.
Why Should You, as a Trainer, Run a Workshop on Dealing with Office Politics?
Dealing with and managing politics in the workplace is a topic that is connected with many areas of leadership development. For example, it ties in with employee engagement, communication, and inclusion.
All of these are important areas in business, as companies strive to achieve higher employee retention and increase productivity by finding new ways to motivate their staff.
Our ‘Managing Office Politics’ training course materials will provide enough content for you to teach a short session of at least 2 or 3 hours.
If you would like to teach a workshop on how to manage office politics as part of a series of related sessions, you can pair it with other training materials such as:
- Psychological Safety at Work
- Employee Engagement and Motivation
- Dealing with Difficult People
- Inclusive Leadership
Why Buy Off-the-shelf Customizable Training Materials?
Whether you are running your training online or in person, there are several benefits of buying ready-to-use corporate training materials.
- You save a lot of time. We have already done the research, created a lesson plan with the activities, and designed the materials (such as PowerPoint slides and handouts).
- You can edit the materials as you like to adapt them to your audience and add your logo.
- The materials are yours to keep and use for your own courses as you wish.
- The training materials are available for you to download instantly as soon as you buy them.
- Our training materials can be adapted for teaching as an online course if needed, using platforms such as Adobe Connect or Zoom.
Who Are These Training Materials for?
These training course materials are for corporate trainers to teach in a classroom environment (either in person or virtually).
You may want to buy our ‘Managing Office Politics’ training course materials if you are:
- A self-employed or corporate trainer who runs training sessions on leadership and employee engagement for his/her customers.
- An HR department in charge of developing team cohesion and improving collaboration among staff.
Individuals who will benefit from attending this type of workshop include:
- HR staff who are in charge of developing a positive organizational culture
- Leaders and managers who want to reduce negativity within their teams, and who want to encourage positive and constructive interactions instead.
- Business owners who also manage their staff directly.
2 to 3 hours (depending on the number of participants and on how much time you want to spend on each discussion).
These training materials are designed for anyone who would like to promote positive relationships among staff.
Outline and Objectives
The aim of these training course materials is to help participants reduce the impact of negative office politics on the team and use office politics as a positive tool instead, to improve teamwork and engagement.
At the end of the course, your participants should be able to:
✔ Identify what office politics is and what it involves.
✔ Analyze how office politics can affect the workplace.
✔ Develop strategies to resolve and prevent problems caused by office politics.
These course materials are designed for a trainer to teach in a classroom environment, either face-to-face or virtually via applications such as Zoom or MS Teams.
The materials are designed to allow for plenty of interaction between teachers and learners so that participants can learn actively.
These training course materials include exercises such as group discussions, Q & As, and brainstorming activities.
Topics That Will Be Covered Include:
Understanding What Office Politics Involves
- Definition of office politics
- Why organizational politics is important
The Effects of Office Politics on the Workplace
- Types of office politics players
- Positive vs negative effects of office politics at work
Developing Strategies to Deal with Politics at Work
- Solutions for managers to address politics in the workplace (including creating an inclusive workplace, promoting transparency, and more)
- How to manage one’s own career progression using positive office politics
With this Course, Instantly Download:
✔ 30 PowerPoint slide deck (includes tutor notes on each slide)
✔ 47 pages trainers workbook
✔ Course documents (including sign-in sheet, course evaluation sheet, course outline, suggested reading list document)
✔ Participants’ workbook, which includes a list of further readings.
✔ Course certificate (printable to hand to participants)
✔ A PDF guide with suggestions on how to adapt the activities for teaching the course online, if you ever need to.
Documents are delivered using MS Word, PDF (in case you do not have MS Word), and PowerPoint.
American & British English Compatible
Suitable for both American English & British English styles.
- We have avoided any words that can cause confusion between American and British English styles such as soccer/football.
- We have used terms that are common in both and we have used the American style for a few words where a ‘z’ rather than ‘s’ is used i.e. materialize.
GBP £89 (approx. USD$109) for the full trainer’s package, ready to download instantly!
Buy This Course
- To purchase click the “Buy Now” button below.
- You can choose to pay via PayPal or by Credit card.
- Once you have paid, you will immediately receive a digital link to download the zip file straight away.
Related training course materials
Our ‘Building Trust in the Workplace’ training course materials are for corporate trainers to deliver workshops on the foundations of how to gain other people’s trust at work (both face-to-face and when working remotely). The topic of trust building encompasses many…
Our psychological safety at work training course materials are for corporate trainers to run workshops for leaders on creating an environment in which staff feel safe to speak up. Psychological safety in the workplace is a relatively new concept in business…
Our ‘Inclusive Leadership‘ training course materials are for corporate trainers to teach managers and leaders in organizations how to make sure that all their workforce feels included, whatever their characteristics (such as gender, age, ethnicity, cultural and…
Dr Valeria (Lo Iacono) Symonds
Latest posts by Dr Valeria (Lo Iacono) Symonds (see all)
- Building Trust in the Workplace Training Course Materials - January 27, 2023
- 10 Socio-Emotional Skills for Building Trust at Work as a Manager - January 25, 2023
- How to Lead Effective Virtual Team Meetings - January 20, 2023