Page Updated on February 14, 2023
These ‘Influencing Skills’ training course materials are for corporate trainers to help managers and employees understand the foundations of influence, and develop their influencing skills in the workplace and in business.
In these materials, influence refers to the power of affecting people in the long term, inspiring them, and causing change without forcing it to happen. This is distinct from persuasion in the sense of trying to change someone’s opinion or convince them to do something in the short term.
As such, these materials deal with how to improve overall influence, rather than with how to persuade others. These two concepts can overlap, but they are distinct.
This training package is:
- Fully customizable and editable
- US English & British English compatible
- Downloadable immediately
- Can also be adapted to use for online teaching and training in virtual classrooms.
- and you will own the rights to edit and reuse it for as many of ‘your own courses’ as you wish
Samples from the Influencing Skills Course Materials
Click on the slides below to magnify
Why Are Influencing Skills Important in the Workplace and in Business?
Influencing skills are more than trying to convince people to change their minds or do something in the short term (this would be classified as persuasion).
Rather, when you are an influential figure in your area, people look up to you and value your opinions all the time. When you are influential, you don’t force people to do as you say and you don’t need to push for change. People just listen to you and trust you.
How can you improve influencing skills in the workplace?
Becoming influential is a long-term process, which involves building knowledge, creating rapport, and developing a series of soft skills (such as communication and emotional intelligence).
It might seem like hard work, but it is worth developing influencing skills in business, for a variety of reasons, including:
- Improving outcomes for projects that involve different departments and organizations – When staff from different departments or organizations work together, leaders are likely to work with people over whom they have no formal authority. As a result, they need to find ways to influence people without exerting pressure.
- Changes in leadership style – These days, many organizations are moving toward being less hierarchical and members of staff are less likely to accept directives from managers if they don’t feel engaged and motivated by them.
- Organizations value people’s interpersonal skills – There is a trend in business toward assessing employees at every level based on their soft skills and their ability to relate to other people.
- Being influential can increase well-being in the workplace – If employees feel that they have a degree of influence in the organization, they are more likely to be happy and motivated in their job. Also, managers who exert influence rather than imposing their authority, are more likely to create a positive atmosphere in their team.
Our Influencing Skills training course materials are designed for corporate trainers to help managers and team members develop their ability to influence without authority.
Why Should You, as a Trainer, Offer Teaching Sessions in Influencing Skills?
There is a trend in business for companies to value interpersonal skills in employees and to encourage their leaders to develop a more democratic leadership style.
Teaching influencing skills can help you fulfill the demand in training needs that exists as part of this trend. You can run workshops on influencing skills for leaders and managers or for all staff on how to influence without authority at work.
Other related materials that you could teach as part of a series on interpersonal skills and modern leadership include:
- Active listening
- Collaboration skills
- Employee engagement and motivation
- Psychological safety
- Emotional intelligence
Why Buy Off-the-shelf Customizable Training Materials?
Whether you are running your training online or in person, there are several benefits of buying ready-to-use corporate training materials.
- You save a lot of time. We have already done the research, created a lesson plan with the activities, and designed the materials (such as PowerPoint slides and handouts).
- You can edit the materials as you like to adapt them to your audience and add your logo.
- The materials are yours to keep and use for your own courses as you wish.
- The training materials are available for you to download instantly as soon as you buy them.
- Our training materials can be adapted for teaching as an online course if needed, using platforms such as Adobe Connect or Zoom.
Who Are These Influencing Skills Training Materials for?
These training course materials are for freelance and corporate trainers to run workshops and training sessions on how to improve influencing skills at work for managers and employees.
You may want to buy these course materials if you are:
- A self-employed or corporate trainer who wants to offer his/her customers a session on building influence in the workplace.
- An HR department that wishes to offer training on influencing techniques and influencing others in the workplace, as part of learning and development activities for staff.
Individuals Who Will Benefit Include:
- Any employee who would like to develop their influencing skills at work
- Managers and team leaders who would like to build influence in their team
- Business people who need to influence others over whom they have no authority
- Anyone who needs to build influencing skills for leading without authority
- Salespeople to be more influential in sales without coming across as overpowering
This training package provides enough materials to teach a workshop for half a day (about 3 hours).
These course materials are for anyone who would like to find out more about how to influence people without exerting authority over them.
Training Materials Aim and Objectives
The aim of these training materials is to help participants understand the foundations of influence and develop their influencing skills.
This refers to affecting and inspiring people in the long term, as opposed to persuading them to do something specific as a one-off.
At the end of the course, your participants should be able to:
✔ Identify what influence is.
✔ Understand the foundations of influence.
✔ Identify and apply influencing strategies.
The materials are designed for a trainer to deliver the course in a classroom setting (either in person or virtually).
However, we strongly believe that participants learn better if they are actively engaged.
So, we have made sure that the materials include enough activities, discussions, and Q&A opportunities for learners to participate actively.
Topics That Will Be Covered Include:
Identifying What Influence Means
- Influence definition
- Difference between influence and persuasion
- Barriers to influence
The Foundations of Influence
- The skills of influential people
- Types of power that affect influence
Influencing Strategies and Techniques
- Empathy and understanding
- Finding out what other people want or need
- Showing interest and appreciation
- Allyship and commonalities with others
- Creating an action plan to develop your influencing skills
With this Course, Instantly Download:
✔ 32 PowerPoint slide deck (includes tutor notes on each slide)
✔ 59-page Trainers workbook
✔ Course documents (including sign-in sheet, course evaluation sheet, and course outline)
✔ Participants’ workbook, which includes a list of further readings.
✔ Action plan handout.
✔ Course certificate (printable to hand to participants)
✔ A PDF guide with suggestions on how to adapt the activities for teaching the course online, if you ever need to.
Documents are delivered using MS Word, PDF (in case you do not have MS Word), and PowerPoint.
American & British English Compatible
Suitable for both American English & British English styles.
- We have avoided any words that can cause confusion between American and British English styles such as soccer/football.
- We have used terms that are common in both and we have used the American style for a few words where a ‘z’ rather than ‘s’ is used i.e. materialize.
GBP £99 to instantly download the full influencing skills training course materials package.
Buy This Course
- To purchase click the “Buy Now” button below.
- You can choose to pay via PayPal or by Credit card.
- Once you have paid, you will immediately receive a digital link to download the zip file straight away.
Related training course materials
Building Trust in the Workplace Training Course Materials
Our ‘Building Trust in the Workplace’ training course materials are for corporate trainers to deliver workshops on the foundations of how to gain other people’s trust at work (both face-to-face and when working remotely). The topic of trust building encompasses many…
Emotional Intelligence in the Workplace Training Course Materials
Our ‘Emotional Intelligence in the Workplace’ training course materials are for corporate trainers to run workshops for members of staff and leaders on how to improve emotional intelligence. This training package is: Fully customizable and editable US English &…
Intercultural Communication Training Course Materials
Our Intercultural Communication training course materials are designed to introduce participants to the fundamentals of cross-cultural communication and help them improve their own intercultural communication skills. These intercultural communication training course…
Dr Valeria (Lo Iacono) Symonds
Latest posts by Dr Valeria (Lo Iacono) Symonds (see all)
- 10 Tips on How to Unleash Your Staff’s Creative Potential - March 12, 2023
- 10 Tips to Make Employee & Workplace Training More Effective & Productive - March 3, 2023
- 10 Tips on How to Be More Likeable and Appreciated at Work - February 12, 2023