Last Updated on
This ‘Introduction to Qualitative Research Methods’ courseware is designed to enable delegates to use some basic qualitative research tools. Participants can apply these tools for research aimed at business development, marketing or any other strategic business needs.
Benefits of Training in Qualitative Research Methods
You might think of doing research as the exclusive domain of academics. However, being able to do research is very important in business as well.
Research for business can be employed in fields such as:
- Human resources, to assess the training needs of staff within an organisation
- Strategic development, to have a better idea of threats and opportunities that exist (either for new or well-established business ventures)
The type of research that businesses usually carry out to assess the big picture is based on surveys and questionnaires, filled by a very high number of people. This is a type of research called quantitative and it is employed to spot trends.
If instead you are more interested in understanding an issue in detail and in more depth (i.e. you want to know not just the extent of an issue but also why it happens and how it affects people), you need to carry out qualitative research.
Qualitative research methods involve talking to people and observing how they act. For example, it can involve activities such as interviews, observations and focus groups.
Qualitative research is usually more time consuming than quantitative research but it can really help you understand your field in depth.
This course on introduction to qualitative research methods is aimed at providing participants with the tools to start engaging in this type of research.
Benefits of this Course for Trainers
As a trainer, there are two ways in which you can benefit from an introduction to qualitative research methods.
Trainers can use this course either:
- You can add it to your training portfolio, to offer a wider range of courses to your clients.
- You can use it to train your colleagues. This package can be particularly useful for trainers who work for or with organisations where it is important to assess and analyse the training needs of their staff. This way, the training effort and budget can be focused on the training that is needed. For example, after doing research, you might find out that sending a newsletter out is enough to make staff aware of certain issues. Or, vice-versa, you may decide that a training session is needed.
Who is This Training Package Intended for?
This training materials package is designed for course trainers who are looking to teach 1-day workshops and training sessions on qualitative data collection and related methods.
This is a beginners course teaching the basics for those who need to become involved in data collection in business.
Data collection is an invaluable tool for understanding a range of things including consumer habits, other issues in the workplace amongst the workforce, business opportunities that are otherwise untapped and so on.
This is a great course to train people in how to begin to collect data in the workplace or for a business.
Some Examples of Individuals or Groups Who Can Benefit from This Course
- Staff in HR and Training departments who have the task of assessing and analysing things such as: the training needs of staff; workplace satisfaction or how to improve productivity.
- Marketing & Sales departments
- Staff in Research & Development areas
- Community and not-for-profit-organisations that need to do some research in their area
- Anyone who needs to do some in-depth research in a particular area
Course Outline and Objectives
At the end of the course, participants should be able to:
✔ Use basic qualitative research techniques.
✔ Have an appreciation for related ethical issues and considerations.
✔ Design and plan qualitative research for collecting data.
✔ Outline how to use data collected using qualitative methods.
✔ Appreciate when to use quantitative versus qualitative methods.
✔ Apply online research methods.
This 1-day workshop is tutor-led but includes a number of role plays, group interactions and group discussions.
The trainer through the PowerPoint presentation, which involves over 80 slides, will introduce a range of considerations and techniques and this is mixed with the group interactions.
Whilst an important subject area for those who need to collect data to analyse trends and issues in their business, this is a relaxed and enjoyable course for all involved.
Topics That Will Be Covered to Include:
Introduction to Qualitative Research
- Discussion around the key differences between qualitative and quantitative data collection methods.
- Research ethics
- Reflexivity and the role of the researcher.
- Using mixed methods.
- Pilot interviews.
- Best practice for doing interviews.
- Data collection tricks and tips.
- Ethnography, interviews and other methods.
Online Data Collection
- The benefits of online methods.
- Skype and VoIP technologies for online interviews.
- Collecting data via Social Media.
- Ethics for online research
Using the Data
- How to interpret and make sense of the data.
- The transcription process.
- Turning the data into reports that are useful.
With This Course, Instantly Download:
✔ 82 PowerPoint slide deck (includes tutor notes on each slide)
✔ 65 page Trainer’s workbook
✔ All Course documents including those you need as the trainer, such as sign in sheet, course outline to hand to each participant, suggested reading list and evaluation sheet.
✔ Tutors checklist to ensure that you remember everything on the training day.
✔ Course certificate (can be printed and handed to each participant)
Documents delivered using MS Word (doc and docx version both included), PDF ((in case you do not have Ms Word) and PowerPoint.
Latest posts by Valeria Symonds PhD (see all)
- SMART Goals and Goals Alignment Training Materials - August 8, 2019
- How to Make Training Workshops Engaging, Interactive and Fun for Adult Learners in the Workplace - July 27, 2019
- Unconscious Bias Training Materials - July 27, 2019