This Introduction to Qualitative Market Research training materials package is designed to enable delegates to use some basic qualitative research tools.
Participants can apply these tools for research aimed at business development, marketing, qualitative brand research or any other strategic business needs. This course is also suitable for graduate students who would benefit from an extra class on qualitative research.
This training package is:
- Fully customizable and editable
- US English & British English compatible
- Downloadable immediately
- Can also be adapted to use for online teaching and training in virtual classrooms.
- and you will own the rights to edit and reuse it for as many of ‘your own courses’ as you wish
Samples from the Qualitative Market Research Training Course Materials
Click on the slides below to magnify
Benefits of Training in Qualitative Market Research Methods
You might think of doing research as the exclusive domain of academics. However, being able to do research is very important in business as well.
Doing research is very important in marketing, so it is important, for somebody who works in this field, to have good market research skills.
However, uses of research for business are not just limited to marketing but research skills can be employed in fields such as:
- Brand research
- Human resources, to assess the training needs of staff within an organization
- Strategic development, to have a better idea of threats and opportunities that exist (either for new or well-established business ventures)
The type of research that businesses usually carry out to assess the big picture is based on surveys and questionnaires, filled by a very high number of people. This is a type of research called quantitative and it is employed to spot trends.
If instead, you are more interested in understanding an issue in detail and in more depth (i.e. you want to know not just the extent of an issue but also why it happens and how it affects people), you need to carry out qualitative research.
Qualitative research methods involve talking to people and observing how they act. For example, qualitative marketing research can involve activities such as interviews, observations, and focus groups.
Qualitative research is usually more time-consuming than quantitative research but it can really help you understand your field in depth.
Qualitative research for marketing and other areas of business can be useful, for example, for:
- Doing exploratory research (that can be followed by quantitative research)
- Carrying out a more in-depth exploration of results from quantitative research
- Creative inspiration
- Evaluating ideas
- Understanding what customers really think
This qualitative market research training materials package for trainers is aimed at providing participants with the tools to start engaging in this type of research.
For example, if you are teaching other trainers who need to identify staff training needs and need to carry out qualitative research to do so, you can modify the examples used in the package accordingly.
Benefits of Our Qualitative Market Research Training Materials for Trainers
As a trainer, there are two ways in which you can benefit from an introduction to qualitative marketing research methods.
As a trainer, there are two ways in which you can use this course:
- You can add it to your training portfolio, to offer a wider range of courses to your clients.
- You can use it to train your colleagues. This package can be particularly useful for trainers who work for or with organizations where it is important to assess and analyze the training needs of their staff.
- This way, the training effort, and budget can be focused on the training that is needed. For example, after doing research, you might find out that sending a newsletter out is enough to make staff aware of certain issues. Or, vice-versa, you may decide that a training session is needed.
Other packages aimed at developing marketing, research and presentation skills, which you may be interested in, include:
- Writing for the Web – how to write for the web in a way that is clear, engaging for the readers, SEO friendly and purposeful.
- SEO Basics for Beginners – aimed at covering the basic principles of search engine optimization for those who are new to it.
- Marketing Essentials – to help participants understand the essential principles of marketing.
- Unconscious Bias – to help your delegates uncover and overcome their unconscious bias (also known sometimes as anti-bias).
- Presentation Skills – useful for learning how to deliver effective and engaging presentations to an audience.
Who Are Our Qualitative Market Research Training Materials Intended for?
Our qualitative marketing research training materials package is designed for freelance trainers and corporate trainers who are looking to teach workshops and training sessions on qualitative research for marketing and for other areas of business.
This is a beginner’s course teaching the basics for those who need to become involved in qualitative research for marketing and for other areas of business.
Data collection is an invaluable tool for understanding a range of things including consumer habits, issues in the workplace amongst the workforce, business opportunities that are otherwise untapped and so on.
This is a great course to train people in how to begin to collect data in the workplace or for a business.
Some Examples of Individuals or Groups Who Can Benefit from Acquiring Qualitative Market Research Skills
- Staff in HR and Training departments who have the task of assessing and analyzing things such as the training needs of staff; workplace satisfaction or how to improve productivity
- Marketing & Sales departments
- Staff in Research & Development areas
- Community and not-for-profit-organizations that need to do some research in their area
- Graduate students (Masters and PhD) who could benefit from attending an extra class or workshop on the qualitative methodology
- Anyone who needs to do some in-depth research in a particular area
The course could be done in one day for those who just need to refresh their existing knowledge.
However, for beginners, it is advisable to run the course over 2 days because, even if this is an introduction to qualitative market research, there is still a lot to take in for those who are new to this type of research.
You could even add one more day if you decide to run the last day as a practical workshop, during which participants can apply the concepts that they learnt in days 1 and/or 2 to their own marketing research projects.
Level That Our Qualitative Market Research Training Materials Are Designed for
Our qualitative marketing research training package for trainers is designed to be taught either to those who are new to qualitative research methods or to people who already have some knowledge and understanding of qualitative research and want to refresh their skill
So, the level is for beginners or intermediate.
As our off-the-shelf corporate training materials are completely customizable and editable, you can adapt them easily to the specific needs of your participants.
For this purpose, we have created for the course a pre-training day questionnaire. This is useful to send to the participants before the training day, in case you would like to tailor the training to their needs by knowing in advance what you should focus the most on.
Qualitative Market Research Training Materials Course Outline and Objectives
The aim of these customizable training materials on qualitative research for marketing is to introduce learners to the main issues involved in qualitative market research and the main methods used.
At the end of the course, participants should be able to:
✔ Identify what qualitative research is and discuss why it is useful
✔ Plan and organize qualitative research projects
✔ Use qualitative research methods to collect data
✔ Discuss how to analyze qualitative data
✔ Present the findings of qualitative research
✔ Identify judgment criteria for qualitative research (i.e., how do we know if a qualitative research project is good)
This workshop is tutor-led but it includes a number of role plays, group interactions, and group discussions and other activities.
We have designed handouts (a total of 11) for some of the activities used as part of the course.
The trainer through the PowerPoint presentation, which involves 94 slides, will introduce a range of considerations and techniques and this is mixed with the group interactions.
Whilst an important subject area for those who need to collect data to analyze trends and issues in their business, this is a relaxed and enjoyable course for all involved.
In addition, it is possible to adapt these materials for teaching through digital online teaching platforms. The PowerPoint slides can be used for teaching online and, as part of the training materials, we provide some guidance with suggestions on how you can adapt the activities for an online session.
Topics That Will Be Covered to Include:
Introduction to Qualitative Research
- Discussion around the key differences between qualitative and quantitative data collection methods.
- Discussion about the uses of qualitative research methods for marketing and business in general.
- Benefits and limitations of qualitative research.
Planning to Qualitative Market Research
- Asking a clear and focused research question.
- Choosing a data collection method.
- Understanding different types of sampling for qualitative market research.
- Research ethics.
- Reflexivity, bias and the role of the researcher.
- In-depth interviews.
- Best practice for doing interviews.
- Types of questions and techniques for running interviews.
- Focus groups.
- Focus group best practices.
- Observations for market research.
- Types of observation techniques for marketing research.
- Netnography, also called online ethnography, to collect qualitative data available online.
- Using mixed methods.
Using the Data
- How to interpret and make sense of the data.
- The transcription process.
- Analyzing qualitative data.
- Turning the data into reports that are useful.
- What to include in a qualitative research report for business.
Judging Qualitative Market Research
- Knowing when qualitative research is good.
- Criteria that can be used to judge the quality of qualitative research (as opposed to quantitative research).
About the Author of Our Qualitative Market Research Training Materials
The Qualitative Market Research training course materials have been developed by Dr Valeria Symonds, PhD.
Dr Valeria Lo Iacono is a qualitative researcher, who is experienced in using interviews (both in-person and over Skype), focus groups, video analysis, and online ethnography.
She has taught qualitative research methods in the University of Bath, UK, has experience of running research projects for businesses and is the leading author of the article Skype as a Tool for Qualitative Research Interviews.
With This Course, Instantly Download:
✔ 83 PowerPoint slide deck (includes tutor notes on each slide)
✔ 67 page Trainer’s workbook
✔ All Course documents including those you need as the trainer, such as sign-in sheet, course outline to hand to each participant, suggested reading list and evaluation sheet.
✔ Pre-training day questionnaire to send participants to assess their level of knowledge of the subject.
✔ 10 handouts
✔ Course certificate (can be printed and handed to each participant)
✔ A PDF guide with suggestions on how to adapt the activities for teaching the course online, if you ever need to.
Documents delivered using MS Word (doc and docx version both included), PDF ((in case you do not have Ms Word) and PowerPoint.
American & British English Compatible
Suitable for both American English & British English styles.
- We have avoided any words that can cause confusion between American and British English styles such as soccer/football.
- We have used terms that are common in both and we have used the American style for a few words where a ‘z’ rather than ‘s’ is used i.e. materialize.
GBP £139 (approx. USD$169)
Buy This Course
- To purchase click the “Buy Now” button below.
- You can choose to pay via PayPal or by Credit card.
- Once you have paid, you will immediately receive a digital link to download the zip file straight away.
Related training course materials
SEO training course package and materials for trainers. Help your delegates apply the latest SEO techniques.
Digital marketing training. Course in online marketing with full trainer’s package and course materials. Covers Adwords basics, SEO & content marketing.
Writing for the web training course package for trainers. Train your participants on how to write effective content for websites.
Dr Valeria (Lo Iacono) Symonds
Latest posts by Dr Valeria (Lo Iacono) Symonds (see all)
- What Is Imposter Syndrome in the Workplace and Dealing with It - July 17, 2022
- Interview with Bella Rowe of The Speak - July 11, 2022
- 7 Training Courses and Skills that New First-Time Managers Need - June 22, 2022