Our psychological safety at work training course materials are for corporate trainers to run workshops for leaders on creating an environment in which staff feel safe to speak up.
Psychological safety in the workplace is a relatively new concept in business leadership. It includes trust and mutual respect but it goes beyond these concepts. Having a psychologically safe environment at work means that employees feel able to voice their opinions without fear of being penalized for it.
This training package is:
- Fully customizable and editable
- US English & British English compatible
- Downloadable immediately
- Can also be adapted to use for online teaching and training in virtual classrooms.
- and you will own the rights to edit and reuse it for as many of ‘your own courses’ as you wish
Samples from the Training Package
Click on the slides below to magnify
What Is Psychological Safety at Work and Why Is It Important?
Psychological safety in the workplace refers to a team climate in which staff feels comfortable expressing their opinions, admitting mistakes, giving and receiving feedback, suggesting improvements, and pointing out problems without fear of embarrassment, punishment, or rejection by the rest of the team.
In a psychologically safe team, all members have equal rights to express themselves, regardless of their position, job title, or rank.
Professor Amy Edmondson (currently a Professor of Leadership at Harvard Business School) coined the expression psychological safety in the 1990s, as a result of her research on whether high-performing medical teams made more or fewer mistakes than low-performing teams.
It surprisingly turned out that high-performing teams made more mistakes, which was puzzling. So, upon further investigation, Amy Edmondson realized that high-performing teams did not make more mistakes but reported more. That meant that they were more open and felt able to speak about mistakes without fear.
Since that project, Prof Edmondson carried out many more research projects in different companies with consistent results and she developed the concept of psychological research.
Later, in 2012, Google carried out a research project called Aristotle to find out why some workplace teams performed better than others.
The final result was that psychological safety was not only the most important factor that led to a team’s success but it also underpinned all other factors, such as dependability, structure, meaning, and impact.
So, why should you train your staff on creating psychological safety at work?
Because psychological safety has been found to greatly increase staffs:
- Problem-solving ability
In particular, psychological safety encourages a team to develop a learning culture in the workplace. This means that staff are encouraged to learn and develop and see errors, problems, and constructive feedback as learning opportunities rather than as setbacks.
This learning culture is particularly important in a volatile, uncertain, complex, and ambiguous socio-economic reality such as the one that we face today. This is because this mindset helps a company be more adaptable, flexible, and innovative.
Our psychological safety at work training course materials package are aimed at helping your staff develop a psychologically safe climate.
Psychological safety is based on the social dynamic of a team, rather than simply at individuals. This is why the role of the leader is key. A leader needs to drive psychological safety at work but, if they cannot do that, it is unlikely that team members will develop it on their own.
This is why our course materials are aimed at training managers and leaders in psychological safety, as they are the ones who need to drive it in an organization.
Who Are the Training Course Materials for?
This training package is for corporate trainers to deliver lessons and workshops on psychological safety.
In particular, you will help your participants understand the importance of psychological safety and find ways to develop it in their teams.
Individuals who would benefit from this course include:
- Team leaders, who need to lead by example and inspire psychological safety in their teams.
- HR departments that have been put in charge of a strategy to increase staff’s commitment, engagement and drive to innovate.
- Small company owners who manage a small team as part of their business.
- Anyone who is in charge of managing a team or a company.
What Are the Benefits for a Trainer of Teaching Psychological Safety Workshops?
If you are a freelance trainer, it is useful to teach psychological safety as this is an innovative and important concept for companies today, particularly companies that face a high level of complexity and need to innovate.
Psychological safety is a new topic, yet it affects issues that are always relevant in the workplace such as trust, motivation, engagement, and conflict.
In addition, you can teach psychological safety as part of equality and diversity training as it is about making everyone in the team feel included and that their opinions are equally appreciated.
Why Buy Off-the-shelf Customizable Training Materials?
Whether you are running your training online or in person, there are several benefits of buying ready-to-use corporate training materials.
- You save a lot of time. We have already done the research, created a lesson plan with the activities, and designed the materials (such as PowerPoint slides and handouts).
- You can edit the materials as you like to adapt them to your audience and add your logo.
- The materials are yours to keep and use for your own courses as you wish.
- The training materials are available for you to download instantly as soon as you buy them.
- Our training materials can be adapted for teaching as an online course if needed, using platforms such as Adobe Connect or Zoom.
This training package provides enough materials to teach a half-a-day (about 3 hours) workshop.
If you want to teach for a whole day, you can complement it with other short courses.
For example, a perfect companion for this course is our ‘Active Listening‘ training course materials. This is because active listening is one of the most important things a leader can do to encourage their team members to speak up.
These materials are suitable for those who are new to the idea of psychological safety, as well as for those who would like to refresh their knowledge.
Course Materials Aim and Objectives
The aim of this training package is to help leaders and managers understand the importance of psychological safety and support it in their teams.
At the end of the course, your participants should be able to:
✔ Identify what psychological safety is and why it’s important.
✔ Pinpoint the things that undermine psychological safety.
✔ Analyze the factors that drive psychological safety.
✔ Start to develop a strategy to support psychological safety in your team.
These corporate training course materials in psychological safety are designed for a trainer to teach a class of participants.
You can use the materials to teach either in person or online and we provide suggestions on how activities can be adapted for an online environment.
Even though we have designed the materials to be trainer-led, they include many opportunities for participants to actively engage. For example, there are activities, discussions and question and answer sessions to engage participants throughout the course.
Topics That Will Be Covered Include:
What psychological safety is and why it is important
- Defining psychological safety
- The difference between psychological safety and other related concepts such as trust
- The relation between psychological safety and performance standards
- Examples of learning behavior
- Types of failure
- Benefits of psychological safety
How to improve psychological safety in a team
- Things that undermine psychological safety
- Things that encourage it
- Strategies that leaders can adopt to drive psychological safety in their team
- Psychological safety action plan
With this Course, Instantly Download:
✔ 33 PowerPoint slide deck (includes tutor notes on each slide)
✔ 36-page Trainers Notes
✔ Course documents (including sign-in sheet, course evaluation sheet, and pre-course guide)
✔ Participants’ workbook, which includes spaces for notes and a list of further readings.
✔ Course certificate (printable to hand to participants)
✔ A PDF guide with suggestions on how to adapt the activities for teaching the course online, if you ever need to.
✔ Handouts for activities (including a psychological safety action plan template)
Documents are delivered using MS Word, PDF (in case you do not have MS Word), and PowerPoint.
American & British English Compatible
Suitable for both American English & British English styles.
- We have avoided any words that can cause confusion between American and British English styles such as soccer/football.
- We have used terms that are common in both and we have used the American style for a few words where a ‘z’ rather than ‘s’ is used i.e. materialize.
Happy Customers Include
GBP £99 (approx. USD$125) to instantly download the full training course materials package.
Buy This Course
- To purchase click the “Buy Now” button below.
- You can choose to pay via PayPal or by Credit card.
- Once you have paid, you will immediately receive a digital link to download the zip file straight away.
Related training course materials
Our ‘Mentoring Skills in the Workplace’ training course materials are for corporate trainers to run workshops on how to become effective mentors. (Please note that these materials focus specifically on mentoring skills as opposed to coaching, which is covered in our…
Our ‘Inclusive Leadership‘ training course materials are for corporate trainers to teach managers and leaders in organizations how to make sure that all their workforce feels included, whatever their characteristics (such as gender, age, ethnicity, cultural and…
Our ‘Emotional Intelligence in the Workplace’ training course materials are for corporate trainers to run workshops for members of staff and leaders on how to improve emotional intelligence. This training package is: Fully customizable and editable US English &…
- Ethical Leadership: A Cornerstone of Success in Business and Effective Managerial Training - October 2, 2023
- How Can I Present My PowerPoint Presentation and View Notes on the Monitor While Presenting - September 18, 2023
- What Is Allyship in the Workplace & 7 Stages of the Allyship Journey – Examples and Techniques - August 27, 2023