Our ‘Mentoring Skills in the Workplace’ training course materials are for corporate trainers to run workshops on how to become effective mentors. (Please note that these materials focus specifically on mentoring skills as opposed to coaching, which is covered in our coaching skills for leaders materials.)
These teaching materials are aimed at helping participants identify the skills they need to be effective mentors and at guiding them in running a mentorship program from start to finish.
This package is suitable to train anyone who intends to mentor another employee. People who can become mentors include not only leaders and line managers but also employees at any level who would like to share their skills and knowledge with other members of staff.
This training package is:
- Fully customizable and editable
- US English & British English compatible
- Downloadable immediately
- Can also be adapted to use for online teaching and training in virtual classrooms.
- and you will own the rights to edit and reuse it for as many of ‘your own courses’ as you wish
Samples from the Training Materials
Click on the slides below to magnify
Why Is Mentoring Important in the Workplace?
Mentoring provides many benefits for the organization, the mentor, and the mentee.
For the organization as a whole, the benefits of having a mentorship program include:
- Reducing the cost of training staff, as skills get transferred between employees
- Having employees who are more knowledgeable, more confident, and more engaged
- Better staff retention
- Better communication and collaboration among employees
- Improved productivity
For mentees, being mentored is useful for:
- Learning new skills
- Improving their career prospects
- Developing confidence
Last but not least, mentoring others is good for employees because it can:
- Give them a sense of purpose and satisfaction in helping others
- Help them develop skills such as communication, time management, giving feedback, emotional intelligence, and more
- Be useful for networking
- Increase their self-confidence
Within an organization, anyone can be a mentor as long as they have skills and knowledge they can share with others.
In this respect, mentoring is different from coaching as coaches do not need to have any specific job-related knowledge. Also, coaches are usually either specially trained consultants or line managers who use coaching techniques to help their direct reports develop (as covered in our materials on coaching skills for leaders)
Traditionally, in the past, mentors were senior employees who mentored junior members of staff. However, nowadays, the idea of reverse mentoring is becoming more popular.
For instance, a manager can seek mentoring from a direct report who comes from a different cultural background, in order to understand what challenges this employee faces at work. Or a younger employee can mentor an older employee on topics such as how to understand what young customers want.
With reverse mentoring, an additional benefit of having a mentorship program is that it can help a company become more inclusive and improve collaboration between employees from a range of diverse backgrounds.
Our ‘Mentoring Skills in the Workplace’ training course materials are designed to help managers and employees become effective mentors and carry out a mentorship process from start to finish.
Why Should You, as a Trainer, Offer Workshops on Mentoring Skills at Work?
These days more than ever, organizations are interested in keeping skilled employees rather than having to spend time and money recruiting and training new members of staff, and encouraging employees to mentor each other is a good strategy to improve employee retention.
So, offering mentoring skills as part of your teaching portfolio is a way of keeping your services relevant to what companies need.
Other training courses in the areas of employee engagement, inclusion, leadership, and interpersonal skills, which you might want to offer, include topics such as:
- Active listening
- Emotional intelligence
- Intercultural communication
- Inclusive leadership
- Collaboration skills
- Trust building at work
- Influencing skills
- Employee engagement
Why Buy Off-the-shelf Customizable Training Materials?
Whether you are running your training online or in person, there are several benefits of buying ready-to-use corporate training materials.
- You save a lot of time. We have already done the research, created a lesson plan with the activities, and designed the materials (such as PowerPoint slides and handouts).
- You can edit the materials as you like to adapt them to your audience and add your logo.
- The materials are yours to keep and use for your own courses as you wish.
- The training materials are available for you to download instantly as soon as you buy them.
- Our training materials can be adapted for teaching as an online course if needed, using platforms such as Adobe Connect or Zoom.
Who Are These Workplace Training Materials for?
These ‘Mentoring Skills in the Workplace’ training course materials are for corporate trainers (either freelance or in-house) to run sessions aimed at helping employees identify the skills and principles of mentoring, so they can develop their mentoring abilities.
You may want to buy these training course materials if you are:
- A self-employed or corporate trainer who wants to offer mentoring skills training to his/her customers.
- An HR department in charge of helping an organization put in place an effective mentorship program.
Individuals who will benefit from a workshop on mentoring skills in the workplace include:
- Managers and leaders who wish to pass on skills and knowledge to their protégés
- HR departments to better identify what mentors do in the workplace and the skills needed for effective mentoring
- Any employee, at any level, who has skills and knowledge they can share with other members of staff
1 day – for classroom training.
If you are delivering this course in virtual training, you can break it down into 1 or 2-hour modules to be delivered on different days.
The course is structured around its learning objectives, so every learning objective constitutes a sub-section of the course and you can easily break the course down into chunks if you need to.
These materials are suitable to train anyone who is going to be a mentor for the first time, as well as those who would like to refresh their knowledge about what mentoring involves.
Materials Aims and Objectives
The aim of these course materials is to help participants identify the skills needed to become an effective mentor and develop a mentoring process from start to finish.
At the end of the course, your participants should be able to:
✔ Recognize what mentoring is and what it involves.
✔ Identify the skills needed to be an effective mentor.
✔ Plan a mentoring process and know how to deal with challenges.
✔ Set up an action plan to develop their mentoring skills.
The course materials are designed for a trainer to deliver the course in a classroom setting (either in person or virtually).
However, we strongly believe that participants learn better if they are actively engaged.
So, we have made sure that the materials include plenty of activities, discussions, real-life examples, and other opportunities for learners to participate actively.
Topics That Will Be Covered Include:
What Mentoring Is and Its Importance
- Definition of mentoring
- The difference between mentoring and other often associated ideas such as coaching, sponsorship, and buddying
- Mentor’s and mentee’s responsibilities
- Different types of mentorship (such as traditional, reverse, reciprocal, group, one-to-one, remote, and formal vs. informal mentoring)
- Benefits of mentoring
Skills for Effective Mentoring
- Leading effective conversations
- Questioning skills
- Active listening
- Giving feedback
- Setting SMART goals
- Building connection and rapport
The Mentoring Process and Challenges
- Three phases of the mentoring process
- The first meeting: questions to ask, and agenda
- The mentorship agreement
- Structure of meetings in the middle phase
- The final meeting
- Possible challenges that a mentor can come across and how to deal with them
Mentoring Skills Action Plan
- Setting mentoring skills development goals
- Actions to take after the training session
With this Course, Instantly Download:
✔ 48 PowerPoint slides (includes presenter/teacher/tutor notes on each slide)
✔ 90-page Trainers presentation notes
✔ Course documents (including sign-in sheet, course evaluation sheet, course outline, suggested reading list document)
✔ Participants’ workbook, which includes a list of further readings.
✔ Five activities handouts, which include scenarios and templates for class activities for employee training.
✔ Course certificate (printable to hand to participants)
✔ A PDF guide with suggestions on how to adapt the activities for teaching the course online, if you ever need to.
Documents are delivered using MS Word, PDF (in case you do not have MS Word), and PowerPoint.
American & British English Compatible
Suitable for both American English & British English styles.
- We have avoided any words that can cause confusion between American and British English styles such as soccer/football.
- We have used terms that are common in both and we have used the American style for a few words where a ‘z’ rather than ‘s’ is used i.e. materialize.
Happy Customers Include
GBP £127 (approx. USD$153) to instantly download the full training course materials package.
Buy This Course
- To purchase click the “Buy Now” button below.
- You can choose to pay via PayPal or by Credit card.
- Once you have paid, you will immediately receive a digital link to download the zip file straight away.
Related training course materials
These ‘Identifying and Managing Narcissism in the Workplace’ training course materials are for corporate trainers to train staff who have responsibility for hiring and managing employees in managerial or leadership roles. The aim of these training materials is for the…
The aim of our ‘Dealing with the Difficult People’ training course materials is to help you, as a trainer, teach your participants how to deal with difficult and disruptive co-workers. This training package is: Fully customizable and editable US English & British…
The aim of this conflict management & resolution training course materials package is to help you, as a trainer, teach your participants how to handle conflict successfully. This training package is: Fully customizable and editable US English & British English…
- How Can I Present My PowerPoint Presentation and View Notes on the Monitor While Presenting - September 18, 2023
- What Is Allyship in the Workplace & 7 Stages of the Allyship Journey – Examples and Techniques - August 27, 2023
- What Is an Employee Resource Group (ERG) and the Benefits? - August 21, 2023