One of the best free team building activities for you to use if you are a trainer running a marketing-related training program (make sure to check our marketing trainers packs) is the ‘What’s in the room’ game.
As a trainer, you do not need to worry about any props or preparation for this activity given its simplicity. For a simple to organize activity though, participants can get very creative and have a lot of fun.
Duration and Cost
- 30 – 60 minutes is the ideal time for this activity. You can adapt it according to if you are running a half, full or two to a
three daytraining session.
- This is a FREE activity that you can use for your own training.
Category: Marketing Training
Participants: This activity works best with a minimum of 4 people and ideally no more than 6 people in each group.
Purpose: Each group is going to come up with a marketing plan based on an item that is placed in the room. Each group will work as a team and then present their marketing plan to the other groups.
As the trainer, you may wish to ensure that you bring some basic items into the workshop.
These items might as well be light and easy to carry such as a pen, a paper cup, a book and any other basic items you wish to use.
Anything that already exists in the training room can also be used by the groups. The groups can choose anything that is in the room.
Separate the Participants
Divide the participants into groups of between four and six people.
The length of this activity will depend on the number of groups you have, hence why anything from thirty minutes to one hour can be used for this task.
Now ask the groups to spend 20 minutes to choose an item in the room.
They then have to plan a marketing strategy around promoting and selling that product.
Each group can choose the item they wish to use from the room
Presenting the Marketing Plan
Each group (or selected groups if you have a large number of groups) are then given 5 minutes to explain their marketing plan to everyone else.
You can include time also for a general discussion at the end about the results and to vote on which plan they considered the best.
Benefits of this Marketing training game
- This marketing activity gives the participants a chance to think outside of the box, i.e. to think about how they would market quite basic objects. This task pushes everyone to think creatively.
- This free activity also pushes participants to develop team-building skills by working with others for a common goal.
- At the end of the task, having heard the other groups’ ideas and approaches, this task provides a reflective way of learning as participants match and compare their own thoughts against those presented by other groups.
- This is a fun activity that is popular and tends to receive positive feedback when included in the
Dr Valeria (Lo Iacono) Symonds
Latest posts by Dr Valeria (Lo Iacono) Symonds (see all)
- 10 Ways To Help Employee Growth and Improve their Development and Skills Set - September 16, 2021
- 7 Ways to Engage Employees in the WorkPlace to Improve Motivation - September 9, 2021
- How to Give Constructive Feedback Effectively to Employees Training Activity - August 9, 2021