These ‘CV & Resume Writing Skills‘ training course materials are for trainers to run workshops on how to write a CV & resume.
Note on terminology:
We use the words CV (British English) and resume (American English) interchangeably to mean a written short description of education, skills, experiences, and other relevant information you send a prospective employer to apply for a job.
This training package is:
- Fully customizable and editable
- US English & British English compatible
- Downloadable immediately
- Can also be adapted to use for online teaching and training in virtual classrooms
- and you will own the rights to edit and reuse it for as many of ‘your own courses’ as you wish
Samples from the CV & Resume Writing Training Course Materials
Click on the slides below to magnify.
Why It Is Important to Teach People How to Write an Effective CV & Resume
A person’s CV or resume is the first thing that a potential employer sees about them, so it is vital that they manage to grab the employer’s attention. A good CV & resume increases their chance of getting a job, but a bad CV/resume is guaranteed to lose them the opportunity to get a job.
Many recruiters have to go through hundreds of CVs & resumes in a short amount of time. As a result, they are very unlikely to read each one carefully. Instead, they often scan CVs & resumes in less than 20 seconds each and try to identify weaknesses and strengths quickly, so they can shortlist candidates fast.
This is why it is not enough for people to write a list of their experiences and skills when applying for a job. Their CV or resume needs to stand out from the crowd, so it is worth spending time writing it and strategizing.
The aim of a CV & resume is to make a prospective employer want to invite the applicant for an interview. So, how can someone make their CV & resume stand out quickly when they apply for a job?
Writing an effective CV & resume involves a lot more than many people think.
There are strategies that people can use to highlight their strengths, skills, and experience in their CV & resume.
The good news is that these strategies can be learned. Our ‘CV & Resume Writing Skills’ training course materials are designed for trainers to teach these strategies to their students.
Why Should You, as a Trainer, Teach Workshops on Writing an Effective CV & Resume
As long as there are people applying for jobs, they will need to learn how to write an effective CV & resume. So, workshops on this topic are always going to be relevant.
Also, as the job market becomes more and more competitive, job applicants will need to perfect their CV & resume writing skills to make sure that their CVs & resumes get noticed by potential employers.
This is where you, as a trainer, can help make a difference, while providing teaching on a topic that is always in demand.
Other training packages that you may offer as part of a career-planning teaching portfolio are:
- Life Planning and Goal Setting training course materials – to help your participants plan successfully for their future.
- Starting a Home Business training course materials – to guide your students towards successfully starting a business working from home.
Why Buy Off-the-shelf Customizable Training Materials?
Whether you are running your training online or in person, there are several benefits of buying ready-to-use corporate training materials.
- You save a lot of time. We have already done the research, created a lesson plan with the activities, and designed the materials (such as PowerPoint slides and handouts).
- You can edit the materials as you like to adapt them to your audience and add your logo.
- The materials are yours to keep and use for your own courses as you wish.
- The training materials are available for you to download instantly as soon as you buy them.
- Our training materials can be adapted for teaching as an online course if needed, using platforms such as Adobe Connect or Zoom.
Who Are These Training Course Materials for?
This CV & resume skills workshop training package is for trainers looking to provide training for individuals of any age, who are searching for a job or want to change their career path.
Individuals who will benefit from attending this type of workshop include:
- Students who are looking to apply for their first job.
- Experienced professionals who want to seek a new job either because they want to change their career path or because they lost their old job.
- People of any age and levels of experience who are applying for job and want to increase their chances of getting an interview.
1 Day – for classroom training.
If you are delivering this course as virtual training, you can break it down into 1 or 2 hours’ modules to be delivered on different days.
The course is structured around its learning objectives, so every learning objective constitutes a sub-section of the course and you can easily break the course down into chunks if need be.
Outline and Objectives
The aim of these training course materials is to help your participants write an effective CV & resume and cover letter.
The materials are designed to guide your participants through every stage of writing a CV & resume and cover letter, using practical activities.
At the end of the course, your participants should be able to:
✔ Identify what a CV & resume is and its purpose.
✔ Plan and write an effective CV & resume.
✔ Identify different types of CV & resume and when to use them.
✔ Write an effective cover letter.
Our ‘CV & Resume Writing Skills’ training course materials are designed for a trainer to teach a group of people, either face-to-face or online.
Even though the training is designed to be teacher-led, there are activities to actively involve the students. These include discussions and a CV & resume planning worksheet that students fill in gradually as the training progress.
So, the trainer will introduce the participants to the concepts involved in writing an effective CV & resume, and then participants will gradually apply the concepts as they write a draft of their CV & resume.
Topics That Will Be Covered to Include:
What a CV & Resume Is and What It Is for
- Purposes of a CV & resume
- Use of the words ‘CV’ and ‘Resume’ around the world
- Some facts about CVs & resumes
Writing an Effective CV & Resume – Strategies and Ideas
- Reasons why CVs and resumes get screened out
- Targeting a CV & resume to the job or career you want
- Identifying your relevant skills and experience
- Guidance on writing a CV & resume section by section (including heading, summary, work history, education and other additional information)
- Turning job duties into accomplishments
- Things to leave out
- Formatting a CV & resume
- Proofreading strategy
- Good practices for sending a CV & resume
- CV & resume types (chronological, functional or skills based, and combination)
- Basic tips on using other media to get noticed, in addition to the traditional written CV & resume
Writing an Effective Cover Letter
- The purpose and content of a cover letter
- The structure of a cover letter
With this Course, Instantly Download:
✔ 52 PowerPoint slide deck (includes tutor notes on each slide)
✔ 83 page Trainers workbook
✔ Course documents (including sign-in sheet, course evaluation sheet, course outline, suggested reading list document)
✔ Participants’ workbook, which includes a list of further readings.
✔ 12 handouts including CV & resume samples and a CV & resume writing and planning worksheet.
✔ Course certificate (printable to hand to participants)
✔ A PDF guide with suggestions on how to adapt the activities for teaching the course online, if you ever need to.
Documents delivered using MS Word, PDF (in case you do not have MS Word) and PowerPoint.
American & British English Compatible
Suitable for both American English & British English styles.
- We have avoided any words that can cause confusion between American and British English styles such as soccer/football.
- We have used terms that are common in both and we have used the American style for a few words where a ‘z’ rather than ‘s’ is used i.e. materialize.
GBP £119 (approx. USD$149) to instantly download
Buy This Course
- To purchase click the “Buy Now” button below.
- You can choose to pay via PayPal or by Credit card.
- Once you have paid, you will immediately receive a digital link to download the zip file straight away.
Related training course materials
Training package to teach how to develop personal resilience and resilience in the workplace.
For trainers to teach assertiveness skills and techniques to leaders and staff in the workplace and in their private life.
Use these materials to train managers and team members on how to influence without authority.
Dr Valeria (Lo Iacono) Symonds
Latest posts by Dr Valeria (Lo Iacono) Symonds (see all)
- 8 Things You Need to Consider & Be Aware of if You Want to Be a Freelance Trainer - November 2, 2022
- Interview with Camilla Vander – Communications & Interview Coach - October 31, 2022
- Collaboration Skills Training Course Materials - October 16, 2022