These ‘Nonverbal Communication and Body Language’ training course materials are for trainers to run workshops on how to improve people’s skills, in both interpreting and sending nonverbal communication messages.
This training package is:
- Fully customizable and editable
- US English & British English compatible
- Downloadable immediately
- Can also be adapted to use for online teaching and training in virtual classrooms
- and you will own the rights to edit and reuse it for as many of ‘your own courses’ as you wish
Samples from the Course Materials
Click on the slides below to magnify.
Why Is Nonverbal Communication Important?
The importance of nonverbal communication in business and in one’s personal life should not be underestimated.
It has become commonplace to say that nonverbal communication accounts for 70 to 90 percent of all communication, while verbal communication accounts for the rest.
This assumption derives from experiments that Mehrabian did in the late 1960s in the US.
While this assumption has recently been contested as an overgeneralization, nonverbal communication, and body language are nevertheless very important, and ignoring them can lead to serious miscommunication issues.
Nonverbal communication includes everything that can communicate something without using words. So, nonverbal communication includes things such as facial expressions, gestures, postures, eye movements, the position of one person in relation to another, the way one’s voice sounds, touch, clothes, jewelry, use of space, timing, and artifacts that surround a person in a certain environment.
Body language is a subset of nonverbal communication and it only refers to the physical behavior of the body (i.e., facial expressions, gestures, and so forth) but it does not include things such as the use of artifacts or the use of time.
Being able to understand and use nonverbal messages to communicate is a great skill to have because it can:
- Improve social relationships
- Increase empathy
- Help you influence others
- Clarify and support your verbal communication
In business and in the workplace, good body language and nonverbal communication skills can be very helpful in:
- Managing people (for example, for personnel selection, performance appraisal, and coaching)
- Advancing one’s career (such as in going for interviews and networking)
- Identifying and preventing bullying and harassment in organizations (as you will be able to spot any aggressive body language signs)
- Developing charisma and presence in leaders
- Fostering high-quality relationships
- Improving teamwork
- Using positive body language to create a better work environment for staff or better customer experiences
Our ‘Nonverbal Communication and Body Language‘ training course materials provide the content you need to help your learners develop their skills in this important area of communication.
Our training materials can be used to help staff and employees improve their nonverbal and body language communication skills at work. The teaching materials can also be used to teach people how to improve these skills in other settings, such as outside work.
Why Should You, as a Trainer, Offer Workshops in Nonverbal Communication and Body Language?
Nonverbal communication is a very important part of our communication skills. So, if you offer communication skills training to organizations, this topic is a very useful one to add to your teaching portfolio.
Other related interpersonal skills training materials, which you may be interested in, include:
- Emotional intelligence
- Intercultural communication
- Giving and receiving effective feedback
- Dealing with difficult people
- Conflict management
- Active listening
Why Buy Off-the-shelf Customizable Training Materials?
Whether you are running your training online or in person, there are several benefits of buying ready-to-use corporate training materials.
- You save a lot of time. We have already done the research, created a lesson plan with the activities, and designed the materials (such as PowerPoint slides and handouts).
- You can edit the materials as you like to adapt them to your audience and add your logo.
- The materials are yours to keep and use for your own courses as you wish.
- The training materials are available for you to download instantly as soon as you buy them.
- Our training materials can be adapted for teaching as an online course if needed, using platforms such as Adobe Connect or Zoom.
Who Are These Training Materials for?
These training course materials are for corporate trainers to teach in a classroom environment (either in person or virtually).
You may want to buy our nonverbal communication and body language training course materials if you are:
- A self-employed or corporate trainer who runs communication skills sessions for his/her customers.
- An HR department, which has been asked to address issues of poor communication at work.
Individuals who will benefit from attending this type of workshop include:
- Managers, to improve their relationship with their team members
- HR staff, managers, and anyone who is involved in personnel selection, performance appraisal, and coaching of staff
- Leaders, to come across as more influential and credible
- Anyone who needs to deliver speeches and presentations
- Customer service representatives
- Members of staff who are in charge of sales and/or negotiations
- Team members, to work together more effectively
- Anyone who would like to improve their nonverbal communication skills for any purpose (including business, relationships, family life, career, etc.)
1 day – for classroom training.
If you are delivering this course as virtual training, you can break it down into 1 or 2 hours modules to be delivered on different days.
The course is structured around its learning objectives, so every learning objective constitutes a sub-section of the course and you can easily break the course down into chunks if need be.
These teaching materials are suitable for those who are new to the topic, as well as for those who would like to refresh or refine their assertiveness skills.
Outline and Objectives
The aim of these training course materials is to help participants develop their skills both in sending and interpreting nonverbal communication messages.
A note on nonverbal communication and cultures
These training materials try to be as cross-cultural as possible.
The materials do not include a section specifically on nonverbal communication in different cultures (as this would require its own training course for each culture to be exhaustive).
Instead, throughout the materials, the issue of cultural differences is mentioned all the time and examples are given to illustrate such differences.
Our Intercultural Communication Training Course Materials are specifically designed for you to teach intercultural communication skills and can complement very well the Nonverbal Communication training materials.
At the end of the course, your participants should be able to:
✔ Identify the characteristics, types, and functions of nonverbal communication.
✔ Analyze other people’s nonverbal communication.
✔ Identify and employ strategies to improve their competence in sending nonverbal messages.
These course materials are designed for a trainer to teach in a classroom environment, either face-to-face or virtually.
Even though the materials are designed to be trainer-led, they allow for plenty of interaction between teachers and learners. As a result, participants can learn actively.
These training course materials include activities such as role-playing and group discussions.
Topics That Will Be Covered Include:
Understanding What Nonverbal Communication Is
- The meaning of nonverbal communication and body language
- Introduction to the areas of nonverbal communication (i.e., kinesics, haptics, vocalics, proxemics, chronemics, and self-presentation and artifacts)
- The things that influence nonverbal communication
- The functions of nonverbal communication
- The characteristics of nonverbal communication, as opposed to verbal communication
Decoding (i.e., Understanding) Other People’s Nonverbal Communication
- The five Cs of nonverbal communication (context, clusters, congruence, consistency, and culture)
- Types of nonverbal signs (i.e., emblems, illustrators, regulators, adaptors, and affect display)
- Facial expressions and body attitudes (including the six universal expressions and how to recognize a wider range of states of mind through a person’s body language)
- Types of smile
- Eye contact
- Analyzing the positions of hands, feet, and legs
- The functions of touch and things to be aware of
- Types of handshake
- Interpreting nonverbal vocal sounds
- Proxemics and the four space zones (from intimate to public)
- Seating arrangments
- The use of time in nonverbal communication
- Self-presentation, artifacts, and environment
Using Body Language to Communicate
- Engaging your audience
- Showing that you are listening
- Creating rapport
- Demonstrating confidence
- Future planning to improve your nonverbal communication and body language skills
With this Course, Instantly Download:
✔ 65 PowerPoint slide deck (includes tutor notes on each slide)
✔ 100 pages trainers workbook
✔ Course documents (including sign-in sheet, course evaluation sheet, course outline, suggested reading list document)
✔ Participants’ workbook, which includes a list of further readings.
✔ Course certificate (printable to hand to participants)
✔ A PDF guide with suggestions on how to adapt the activities for teaching the course online, if you ever need to.
Documents are delivered using MS Word, PDF (in case you do not have MS Word), and PowerPoint.
American & British English Compatible
Suitable for both American English & British English styles.
- We have avoided any words that can cause confusion between American and British English styles such as soccer/football.
- We have used terms that are common in both and we have used the American style for a few words where a ‘z’ rather than ‘s’ is used i.e. materialize.
British GBP £127 (Approx USD$153)
Buy This Course
- To purchase click the “Buy Now” button below.
- You can choose to pay via PayPal or by Credit card.
- Once you have paid, you will immediately receive a digital link to download the zip file straight away.
Related training course materials
Influencing Skills Training Course Materials
These ‘Influencing Skills’ training course materials are for corporate trainers to help managers and employees understand the foundations of influence, and develop their influencing skills in the workplace and in business. In these materials, influence refers to the…
Emotional Intelligence in the Workplace Training Course Materials
Our ‘Emotional Intelligence in the Workplace’ training course materials are for corporate trainers to run workshops for members of staff and leaders on how to improve emotional intelligence. This training package is: Fully customizable and editable US English &…
Intercultural Communication Training Course Materials
Our Intercultural Communication training course materials are designed to introduce participants to the fundamentals of cross-cultural communication and help them improve their own intercultural communication skills. These intercultural communication training course…
Dr Valeria (Lo Iacono) Symonds
Latest posts by Dr Valeria (Lo Iacono) Symonds (see all)
- Change Management Training Course Materials - June 7, 2023
- 12 Tips on How to Be Focused and Get Work Done - May 31, 2023
- 6 Problem-Solving at Work True or False Questions - April 6, 2023