Our ‘Assertiveness Skills and Techniques at Work‘ training course materials are for trainers to run workshops on how to be more assertive both in the workplace and in one’s personal life.
The key to assertiveness is to balance your own needs with the needs of other people.
As such, these training materials are suitable to train people who are either too aggressive or too passive in their approach to others, so they can find a middle ground and develop a more assertive communication style.
Every employee though can benefit from understanding assertiveness skills and techniques as we can all sometimes find it hard to be assertive.
This training package is:
- Fully customizable and editable
- US English & British English compatible
- Downloadable immediately
- Can also be adapted to use for online teaching and training in virtual classrooms.
- And you will own the rights to edit and reuse it for as many of ‘your own courses’ as you wish
Samples from the Training Package
Click on the slides below to magnify
Why Is It Important to Be Assertive in the Workplace and in Life?
Assertiveness is the ability to assert your own rights while, at the same time, respecting other people’s rights. So, an assertive person strives to find a win-win solution in conflicts.
Assertiveness should not be confused with being aggressive in that an aggressive person tries to impose their will on other people, without considering the other person’s point of view and needs. On the opposite end of the scale, a passive person puts other people’s needs and wants above their own. An assertive person tries to strike a balance.
As such, assertiveness is a great skill to have both at work and in your personal life.
In your personal life, being assertive leads to healthier relationships (whereby you don’t feel oppressed by always giving in, and don’t oppress others); less stress (as you are not forced into submission or pushed into a rage), and better self-esteem.
The benefits of being assertive at work (for the individual and the company) include:
- Better cooperation and teamwork
- Improved leadership skills
- Better customer service, as staff are better equipped to deal with angry customers without giving in but without entering into conflict
- Clearer and more transparent communication
- Ability to deal with conflict more productively
- Improved negotiation and problem-solving skills
- An overall more confident and happier workforce (with lower staff turnover and sickness levels as a result)
- And, ultimately, higher productivity
Our ‘Assertiveness Skills and Techniques at Work‘ training course materials provide the content you need to help your learners develop their assertiveness levels and their ability to communicate assertively.
What Are the Benefits for You, as a Trainer, of Providing Assertiveness Workshops?
If you are a corporate trainer, assertiveness in the workplace is one of those skills that is always required and suitable for all staff.
If you are a life coach, assertiveness is one of those incredibly useful personal development skills aimed at improving self-esteem, which you can teach in conjunction with other topics such as self-confidence, resilience, stress management, and mindfulness.
Why Buy Off-the-shelf Customizable Training Materials?
Whether you are running your training online or in person, there are several benefits of buying ready-to-use corporate training materials.
- You save a lot of time. We have already done the research, created a lesson plan with the activities, and designed the materials (such as PowerPoint slides and handouts).
- You can edit the materials as you like to adapt them to your audience and add your logo.
- The materials are yours to keep and use for your own courses as you wish.
- The training materials are available for you to download instantly as soon as you buy them.
- Our training materials can be adapted for teaching as an online course if needed, using platforms such as Adobe Connect or Zoom.
Who Are These Training Course Materials for?
These training course materials are for trainers and coaches who want to train people on how to become more assertive at work and in life in general.
You may want to use these materials if you are:
- A self-employed or corporate trainer who wants to run workshops on assertiveness skills and techniques in the workplace for your clients or organization.
- A life coach who wants to run self-development seminars and workshops.
- An HR department, which has been asked to address issues of low assertiveness in the workplace.
Individuals who will benefit from attending this type of workshop include:
- Leaders and managers who need to lead their team assertively
- Customer service staff, to communicate clearly and assertively with clients
- Public relation officers
- Team members to improve relations with the rest of the team and with their managers
- Self-employed and business people
- Anyone who deals with members of the public, colleagues and any other stakeholder
- Any person who seeks to improve their relations with family and friends
1 day – for classroom training.
If you are delivering this course in virtual training, you can break it down into 1 or 2 hours’ modules to be delivered on different days.
The course is structured around its learning objectives, so every learning objective constitutes a sub-section of the course and you can easily break the course down into chunks if need be.
These teaching materials are suitable for those who are new to the topic, as well as for those who would like to refresh or refine their assertiveness skills.
Outline and Objectives
The aim of these teaching materials is to help participants develop their assertiveness skills and communicate assertively, both in the workplace and in other social environments.
At the end of the course, your participants should be able to:
✔ Identify what assertiveness is and how it can benefit them.
✔ Recognize four types of behavior in relation to assertiveness and their components.
✔ Apply assertiveness strategies and techniques.
✔ Draw up a plan to develop their assertiveness skills.
These course materials are designed for a trainer to teach in a classroom environment, either face-to-face or virtually.
Even though the materials are designed to be trainer-led, they allow for plenty of interaction between teachers and learners. As a result, participants can learn actively.
These training course materials include activities such as an assertiveness questionnaire, case studies, scenarios for role-playing, and group discussions.
Topics That Will Be Covered to Include:
What Assertiveness Is and Its Benefits
- Assertiveness definition
- Myths about assertiveness
- Your rights and responsibilities
- Situations in which to use assertiveness communication skills
- Assertiveness benefits
- Barriers to assertiveness
Behaviors and Communication Styles
- Self-assessment questionnaire
- Analysis and comparison of four types of behavior: aggressive, passive-aggressive, passive and assertive
- The assertiveness continuum
Assertiveness Strategies and Techniques
- Changing your thoughts and belief
- The 3 Cs of assertive communication
- Assertive communication steps
- Types of verbal assertions
- Non-verbal communication
- Words to avoid
- Making requests
- Handling criticism
- Saying ‘no’
- Giving feedback (including constructive feedback and compliments)
- Disagreeeing with someone
Building an Action Plan to Improve Assertiveness
- Assertiveness action plan template
- More ways to work on your assertiveness
With this Course, Instantly Download:
✔ 57 PowerPoint slide deck (includes tutor notes on each slide)
✔ 72 page Trainers workbook
✔ Course documents (including sign-in sheet, course evaluation sheet, course outline, suggested reading list document)
✔ Participants’ workbook, which includes a list of further readings.
✔ 5 handouts (including an assertiveness self-assessment questionnaire, role-play scenarios, and an action plan template).
✔ Course certificate (printable to hand to participants)
✔ A PDF guide with suggestions on how to adapt the activities for teaching the course online, if you ever need to.
Documents are delivered using MS Word, PDF (in case you do not have MS Word), and PowerPoint.
American & British English Compatible
Suitable for both American English & British English styles.
- We have avoided any words that can cause confusion between American and British English styles such as soccer/football.
- We have used terms that are common in both and we have used the American style for a few words where a ‘z’ rather than ‘s’ is used i.e. materialize.
British GBP £119 (Approx USD$149)
Buy This Course
- To purchase click the “Buy Now” button below.
- You can choose to pay via PayPal or by Credit card.
- Once you have paid, you will immediately receive a digital link to download the zip file straight-away.
Related training course materials
The aim of these active listening training materials for trainers is to help your course participants improve their listening skills. By the end of this course, they will understand what active listening is, the importance of active listening, and how to implement…
Dr Valeria (Lo Iacono) Symonds
Latest posts by Dr Valeria (Lo Iacono) Symonds (see all)
- What Is Imposter Syndrome in the Workplace and Dealing with It - July 17, 2022
- Interview with Bella Rowe of The Speak - July 11, 2022
- 7 Training Courses and Skills that New First-Time Managers Need - June 22, 2022